Pallet Rack Shelving Options
With the correct pallet rack shelving, (also called decking), you can provide high-capacity, highly organized storage for all warehouse storage needs up to your heaviest pallet loads. A pallet rack system
is one of the most popular type of industrial and warehouse storage systems. Racking allows high-verticle storage along with organizational advantages. But to oragnize safely to the best level the correct shelving is
Therefore when choosing the best pallet rack for your needs, you also must consider what decking you want to use with the pallet rack choice you made. Each decking option was created to provide more efficiency, strength
and storage potential, but which one will work best for your racking?
Pallet Rack Wire Decking
Pallet Rack Wire Decking also called Wire mesh decking is the standard when it comes to pallet rack decking options. Many companies choose this decking option due to its great balance of support,
load capacity, and cost. Pallet Rack Wire decking provides increased stability and protection to the pallet rack over conventional pallet support beams alone. Wire decking allows users of pallet rack shelving the ability to store
items on shelves without having to use pallets. Wire decking provide a stronger, longer-lasting alternative to wood boards between beams. Wire decking easily sets on the beams, covering the full length of the rack. It usually
has a standard load capacity of 2,000 – 2,500 lbs, and higher capacity wire decking is available. Wire decking is one of the most cost-effective and versatile solutions which is why it is the decking of choice for most companies.
The spacing between wires on wire deck is 2" x 4". Depending on the pallet rack environment that the wire decking is to be used in, there are different protective coatings you would chose. They include painted, powder coated
and galvanized wire decking.
Pallet Rack Wire Decking increases fire safety in your facility by allowing flow-through from sprinkler water systems. All wire deck we offer meets ANSI MH-26.2 standards. Check with your insurance company if having wire deck would reduce your
Reasons for Choosing Wire Decking
- There is no dust or debris build-up with wire decking because of the open mesh pattern thereby providing a cleaner work environment.
- The wire mesh design improves airflow, critical for storing temperature and moisture-sensitive products.
- It also prevents damaged pallets and inventory from falling through your racks.
- Wire decking also provides a better visual of your inventory, air circulation and cooling of your facility.
- The wire mesh grid in pallet rack wire decking allows light to pass through and evenly disperse from ceiling to floor.
Using wire mesh deck in pallet rack storage reduces shadows, resulting in a brighter warehouse. Better distribution of existing lighting has proven to reduce accidents and increase stocking and picking efficiencies.
- Wire decks give you the options to store items and pallets of multiple sizes.
- Wire decking is tough, durable wire construction with 4-Gauge wire mesh, maintenance free, easy to install.
Punch Deck™ Decking | 50% Open Rain Decking
Punch Deck™ Decking also referred to as 50% Open Decking or Slotted Steel Decking is versatile and can do things other decking cannot. It has many advantages. It’s flat, smooth, strong, it doesn’t tear up boxes
and doesn’t catch shirt sleeves. It's a pallet rack decking design, sometimes corrugated, with a minimum of 50 percent open area in the deck surface. The open decking allows air to circulate through the racks and also enables overhead sprinklers
to reach every level of a pallet rack system.
The easy slide on and off surface properties reduces product damage and snagging typically seen in other open decking products such as wire decking. It is close to being the perfect pallet rack decking. Punch Deck™ Decking is one brand,
50% Open Rain Decking is another, and there are others, but all are stronger and stand up to more abuse than wire decking. Heavy applications have been known to destroy wire decking, making it look like it was ran over by a truck.
All brands are fire marshall approved, verifying style of decking's lasting performance while complying with today’s fire protection codes. With various sizes and load capacities, Punch Deck™ Decking or 50% Open Rain Decking have become
quite popular. It's becoming more and more popular decking for any pallet rack application, fitting nearly all types of pallet rack and cantilever rack.
Being such an open design allows for full coverage from overhead sprinkler systems increasing fire safety in your facility by allowing flow-through from sprinkler water systems. The popular open pallet rack decking meets ANSI MH-26.2
standards. Check with your insurance company if having Punch Deck™ Decking or 50% Open Rain Decking would reduce your insurance premium. There are multiple manufacturers producing styles of Punch Deck™ Decking and 50% Open Rain Decking.
The decking is constructed with multiple panels to complete a flat steel, high capacity shelf surface with 50% to 56% open area. The major difference I have found between manufacturers is the available widths of the decks and shelve panels.
- Fits virtually any size beam.
- Easy drop in installation.
- Satisfies NFPA and FM Global fire safety codes. Keeps you in compliance with Fire Marshall and Insurance Company requirements.
- Can drop into pallet rack standard 1-5/8″ step beams or create shelves without beams.
- High capacity with standard thicknesses Sheet metal thickness: 22 gauge, 20 gauge, 18 gauge, 16 gauge and 14 gauge.
- Capacities range from 450 lbs. to 5,000 lbs.
- Smooth, flat 50% open, surface decking prevents snag on pallets, boxes, carpet racks or expensive products.
- With no waterfall edge, the decking fits flush with the top of the step beam allowing for easy labeling and bar coding on the face of the beam.
- Long lasting, durable, corrosion resistant galvanized finish.
- 1-1/4″, 1-1/2″, 1-5/8″, 2″ profile available.
- Lengths up to 96″.
- Panel widths from 17-5/8″ to 24-1/2″.
- Attractive Looking bright galvanized finish gives your warehouse a sleek clean look that is easy to maintain.
- With freight Savings of up to 3 times more square footage can be shipped on a single truck than most other deck products.
Heavy Duty Bar Grating
Bar Grating is the heaviest duty pallet rack decking. A heavy metal grate decking is ideal for storing heavy molds, dies and point loads placed in the middle of the shelf. Open design allows air,
light and water from sprinkler systems to penetrate which may prevent you from having to sprinkler every level. Steel Bar Grating meets Fire Marshall requirements.
- Bar Grating is a steel platform which consists of a series of bearing bars welded to perpendicular cross bars to form a load-bearing panel.
- The most common size of bar grating has bars that are spaced 1-3/16 inches (center to center) with perpendicular cross bars spaced 4 inches apart (center to center).
- In our industry, Bar Grating is commonly used to create floors for mezzanines.
- Bar grating is used as an alternative to a plywood floor, supported by steel roof decking.
- Bar Grating is either painted or galvanized.
Smooth Solid Steel Decking
Smooth Solid Steel Decking allows for pallet racks to be used for bulk storage,
goods storage and small item storage that would fall through the openings of traditional wire decks.
Solid steel decking allows for pallet racks to be used for bulk storage, bagged goods storage and small item storage that would fall through the openings of traditional wire decks.
Used for Applications in Industrial, Manufacturing, and Warehouseing. By placing high strength steel decking on top of the pallet rack beams it turns pallet racks into standard shelf storage.
The Steel Decking has a smooth 14 gauge steel surface and a durable powder coated finish for corrosion resistance. Decks are made from 14 gauge steel with 12 gauge steel reinforcing channels on the underside
to provide a capacity of 3,000 lbs. per section. Waterfall edges on the front and back are 1-1/2" to ensure a secure fit to 1-5/8" step beams. Closed type shelving units are covered on three sides with steel panels to provide stability,
protection and to promote cleanliness of stored items. Optional locking doors may be added for greater security.
Penco Clipper Shelving
Penco Clipper Shelving can be for simple to complex solutions, for all forms of shelving including sophisticated
multi-level and modular applications.
Penco Clipper Shelving is the basic and most economical shelving design for general purpose use. Backs and sides are open with sections stabilized by sway braces. At the heart of the Clipper
Shelving System is the ingenious Penco Clipper Clip. It is easily installed, holding the shelf firmly in place, it can be repositioned at any time, and actually helps make the shelving more rigid.
Clipper Shelving offers a wide variety of sizes and capacities. This gives you the flexibility to provide top quality storage for a simple back room area, or a sophisticated multi-level or high-rise application. Penco Clipper shelves
have an exceptional strength to weight ratio. Front and rear flanges of each shelf utilize Box Beam construction for extra strength.
The shelving sides are double flanged and can accept additional reinforcements if required. Flanges are welded to the underside of the shelf on 3" centers. Corners are lapped and welded. Shelves are available in three main capacity
ranges: Medium, Heavy Duty and Extra Heavy Duty.
Rivet Rack - Rivet Boltless Shelving
Rivet Rack also called Rivet Boltless Shelving is specifically designed to give maximum storage capabilities no matter how large or small the space.
Rivet Rack also called Rivet Boltless Shelving is sturdy heavy duty storage for records, warehouse stock storage and industrial applications. It provides storage solutions for basic back-room storage to totally
integrated warehouse applications. The boltless design ensures easy assembly and quick set-up.
All components are engineered to attach snugly to one another without the use of fasteners. This unique design has rivets which are factory attached to all left-to-right and front-to-back beams. The rivets align with keyhole slots in the vertical
posts. Once tapped into place using a standard rubber mallet, the units are tightly assembled providing maximum strength. Rivet rack may be used for factory, stockrooms, tool rooms and for record storage applications.
Various sizes and shelf capacities are available. Wide span capability with shelf sizes up to 96" x 48". Shelves are adjustable on 1-1/2" centers. Custom shelf and height configurations available. Standard heights up to 16' high are available
with particle board shelves or wire deck shelves. Boltless clipless construction assembles in minutes. Single rivet light duty beams. Double rivet medium duty beams and C channel for heavy duty beams. Standard color is Gray. Other colors
Placed along the wall or create an aisles for easy organization and increased accessibility. Popular in a warehouse, an office or storage space, Rivet Rack or Rivet Boltless Shelving is ideal for commercial and industrial use as well.
Besides ease of assembly, the main feature is it becomes pallet racking where all 4 sides of the unit can be accessable.
- Rivet rack shelving may be used for general purpose and/or record storage applications.
- Various sizes and shelf capacities available.
- Wide span capability.
- Shelf sizes up to 96" x 48".
- Shelves are adjustable on 1-1/2" centers.
- Custom configurations available.
- Standard heights to 16' available.
- Particle board decking or wire decking available.
- Boltless clipless construction assembles in minutes.
- Single rivet light duty beams, Double rivet medium duty beams and C channel heavy duty beams.
A.I.T. Inc. – Industrial Pallet Rack® ships over 25 different styles and manufacturers of racking to suit any need you may have. If we don’t have it, we can most likely locate it for you through
our national dealer network. Need help identifying, measuring, and/or sizing your rack? You can Click On This Link To View Our Pallet
Pallet Rack Identification Guide or simply pick up the phone and call (954) 205-4071.
Family owned and operated since 1993, our focus has always been helping our customers with Pallet Rack Identification, Pallet Rack Design,
Pallet Rack Additions and Pallet Rack Installation. We have tons of experience with new, and second hand or used pallet racking of all types and brands. We have thousands of
light and heavy duty beams, column uprights, decking of all types, small components and accessories available.
For a FREE QUOTE call (954) 205-4071 or use the A.I.T. Inc. – Industrial Pallet Rack® "Get A Quote Link"
above to send a note.
Copyright © 2021 Technologies LLC – dba Industrial Pallet Rack & Equipment® All rights reserved
Using any of the photographs on this website for commercial use is prohibited without permission from Industrial Pallet Rack® Inc.